Thursday, August 15, 2013

The August Break - Day 15 - Books


"Books and doors are the same thing.
You open them, and you go through
into another world."
- Jeanette Winterson


The oldest book I own, Flower and Fruit from Riley copyright 1909!  

It was given to me by my (great) Aunt Helen.  I'm not sure how it came into her possession.  She was a bit of a hoarder, and had all manner of thing.  She gave it to me, along with another old book, because she thought I was the sort of person who would appreciate such books.  I was very bookish in my youth.  Judging by the quality and appearance of my cursive, it was probably not too long after my diagnosis with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.  I had always enjoyed reading, but I think books became even better friends as my mobility was limited a bit.  It is a beautiful old book.  I probably should have it protected and shelved better.


A portion of our poor disheveled bookshelves!  

I wish I was the sort of person who had beautiful artistically arranged bookshelves.  Back when we moved in, they were at least by genre and the fiction was alphabetized.  But over time, and after two major purgings, the bookshelves are stocked every which way.  On the more accessible shelves are the frequently used items, new acquisitions, and sometimes just what fits.       


Current reads bedside

What are you reading these days?

*****

Consider "liking" the companion Facebook page
a forum for sharing beauty found in everyday life.  

*****

Read more about The August Break 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment